What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
fresh_42 said:
No wonder, considering his full (stage) name. Guess he organizes the tour.

Actually, he organagro the tour.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sophia said:
It's just because they don't have facial expressions and we can't hear their sounds
You've never had a goldfish scowl at you, have you?

Likes Sophia
WWGD said:
Actually, he organagro the tour.
They have actually a casting for the show, perhaps to get the Beatles together again:
http://www.wormsrus.co.nz/organagro.html

...of course on a mission from God!

Psinter said:
They killed the dog of a friend.

The veterinary said that it was too old and it could not recover. He said it was 126 years old when the average says it should have died a long time ago. That it was suffering.

So they put some kind of injection and killed it. Or so I was told, I wasn't there.

Edit: I don't know why the number of age so big. Never quite understood it. It might be some kind of convention. I don't know.
That's sad, but sometimes it's the most humane option. He would only suffer and they helped him to be at peace :-/
My friend had to put down get dog because the dog had some kind of rare neurological disorder and would become paralysed. There were either no medications for it or they were incredibly expensive, I don't remember exactly.

Sometimes they say that each dog year is like 7 human years but it's probably just an urban legend.

Likes Psinter
Sophia said:
That's sad, but sometimes it's the most humane option.
It is very sad, and I've been there... it had to be done to one of our dearly loved cats...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:oldcry:

dlgoff said:
What? How about this? :devil:
I did like "Dark side of the moon" but in many ways this sort of music relates to what I really like in the same way that patterned wallpaper relates to great visual art, or in the way that eating chocolate relates to having a good meal. It can provide an enhancing backdrop to support words and sentiments, but the structure is repetitive and is often more to do with the atmosphere created by the sound than the structure of the work. Perhaps playing in performances of Shostakovich Symphony No 5 as a teenager has indeed imprinted my tastes, but I've found a lot of classical musicians who have similar tastes.

Likes OmCheeto and dlgoff
OCR said:
It is very sad, and I've been there... it had to be done to one of our dearly loved cats...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:oldcry:
:-( that must have been very painful :-( cats are such wonderful pets. How long did you have that cat and why did you have to do that?

fresh_42 said:
I still have to think about the live concert of Iggy I saw these days on TV. He's been 68 at the time (2015) and rocked the whole arena (in France). Similar could be said about Keith or Tina. I have serious doubts that something like this will be said about nowadays "stars" as Beyonce, Miley or He-who-must-not-be-named.

Other examples include Bruce Springsteen (67), Slayer (whose members are approaching the mark of 60) and AC/DC.
The latter I saw last year for their rock or bust tour and it was awesome. Top 3 of any show I've ever seen, easy.

dlgoff said:
What? How about this? :devil:

In the interest of reciprocity

Likes dlgoff
JorisL said:
Other examples include Bruce Springsteen (67), Slayer (whose members are approaching the mark of 60) and AC/DC.
The latter I saw last year for their rock or bust tour and it was awesome. Top 3 of any show I've ever seen, easy.
And Lemmy Kilmister! May he rest in peace.

JorisL said:
I saw the Police's concert and it was pretty much watered down, "muzaked" with any edginess or real emotion removed to (supposedly) please the audience.

Sophia said:
Sometimes they say that each dog year is like 7 human years but it's probably just an urban legend.
It's is roughly due to the simple division 70 / 10 (or 84 / 12 if you like). But in truth it's not linear. Dogs age faster when they are young and slower when getting old.

jim hardy said:
In the interest of reciprocity...
I can't say I'm a fan of doing that to Beethoven's 9th, although it's probably got a better melody than a lot of other popular music.

I made a mess of sight-reading the last few bars of the finale of Beethoven's 9th in the "Beethovathon" concert last year, although fortunately my mistakes were mostly drowned by those around me who had been able to attend the relevant rehearsal (which occurred on the same evening as an important rehearsal for my own orchestra). I guess it's good to remember that there are people who do much worse things to it!

Likes OmCheeto, jim hardy and dlgoff
Jonathan Scott said:
Well, I mostly enjoy (and perform) music from the 1680s (e.g. Purcell) to the 1950s (e.g. Shostakovich Festive Overture), although there is some recent stuff I really like, such as the Star Wars music by John Williams (which is admittedly quite reminiscent of several early 20th century composers). Recent "music" is mostly too noisy, intrusive and monotonous for my taste, although some of it is fine.

I was referring mostly to pop music. It just seems like one of the statements that gets repeated every generation. "Today's people don't know what music is..."

WWGD said:
"Today's people don't know what music is..."
Of course they do. That's why they produce all these many covers of real music! :biggrin:

Likes Sophia
Sophia said:
That's sad, but sometimes it's the most humane option. He would only suffer and they helped him to be at peace :-/
My friend had to put down get dog because the dog had some kind of rare neurological disorder and would become paralysed. There were either no medications for it or they were incredibly expensive, I don't remember exactly.

I was thinking the exact same. It just doesn't make much sense to me to adjust a dog lifespan to a human lifespan. They are different creatures with different biology. If so, then we would/could adjust a fish lifespan and every other species lifespan to a human lifespan. Which doesn't strike much sense on me. Not that one cannot do it, but how accurate and how much scientific basis would it have? So yeah.
OCR said:
Was it old too and it could not recover from a disease?

I don't remember ever having a pet. Can't say how I feel about it. But if I get a bunny, I wouldn't want it to die.

Likes Sophia
Jonathan Scott said:
... but in many ways this sort of music relates to what I really like in the same way that patterned wallpaper relates to great visual art, ...
Excellent!

OCR said:

My wife and I had to have our 19 year old (real time years) female cat put down yesterday, it is painful, but watching it slowly fade in health was more trying on us. We are both getting on in years and taking care of ourselves now, should be our main (or only) priority. I firmly believe that indoor pets should be treated almost equal to family :smile:

RonL said:
My wife and I had to have our 19 year old (real time years) female cat put down yesterday, it is painful, but watching it slowly fade in health was more trying on us. We are both getting on in years and taking care of ourselves now, should be our main (or only) priority. I firmly believe that indoor pets should be treated almost equal to family [emoji2]
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I'm sure you did what was best for her.

Likes RonL
I heard my local news today that someone had his/her $25,000 stolen via internet in the bank where I also save mine. What a bunch of "modern" starving monsters!

Sophia said:
How long did you have that cat and why did you have to do that?
We got him in early September of 1994, and he died on July 3, 2012... He was 18 years old... His name was Abe, named after a logger friend of mine who gave him to us as a kitten, but we always, affectionately, just called him... "Thing".
He developed some form of muscle wasting syndrome, and could hardly move, or even hold his head up while laying down.
Psinter said:
Was it old too and it could not recover from a disease?
Yes Psinter, we went with our vets recommendation... a very sad day.[COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR]:oldfrown:

"Thing" was the fourth cat that my wife and I had to say a final goodbye to...

"Little Dummy 2" was our companion for 19 years, she died on the couch, laying right next to my wife, at 10:30 AM on Christmas day, December, 2009.
She died from kidney failure, and was the third one that we lost...

"Little Dummy 1" was attacked and killed by a predator, probably a hawk or an eagle, maybe a bobcat... I walked and searched for hours and hours, and finally found her on a hill side, less than a half mile from the house... the memory of that horrible day is still hard to think, or even write about. She was less than a year old, and one of the most beautiful cats I'd ever seen.
She was the second one to leave us...

We've been married for 29 years now, and our first cat just disappeared, about 28 years ago, I never found even a trace of her.[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:oldfrown:

Such is life and death, on a ranch in Montana, I guess...?

RonL said:
I firmly believe that indoor pets should be treated almost equal to family...
Although we let our cats out during the the day, they never, never stay out after dark... never!
Yes, the were, and are family to us... we love them all.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:cat:

Except for the one I never found, the other three are all buried in my wife's flower garden, with little stone cats as markers...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:angel:

Yes, and we still have three of 'em, with about the same ridiculous names as the ones that died...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :approve:
Lol, how about... "Chubo", "Chino", and "Little" ?[COLOR=#black] ...[/COLOR]:redface:

There, that's my cat story... you know mostly all you need to know about our cats, no? [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :ok: ?

Oh, wife's flower garden area, with bear... not a good pic of garden, though...

P8200066.JPG

Last edited:
Likes NathanaelNolk, ProfuselyQuarky, Psinter and 2 others
@OCR it was so nice to read about your love for your little furry friends. One can see you must have a very kind heart, remembering all the details, even exact hour of Little Dummy's death. And what a nice idea, to burry them into the flower bed.

We have a cat, too. He's 5 years old and he's such a sweetie. He's totally phlegmatic and easy going. I really don't understand how some people think cats are mean and selfish. They just refuse to listen to your orders because they have their own will and that's what I like about them. That's why it's so precious when a cat shows you affection! You know they don't fake it and you feel privileged that they allow you to pet țhem.
I like dogs, too, and love my cocker spaniel Biba. There's just something about cats that's magnetic and mysterious, which makes me prefer them over dogs.

Likes Psinter and OCR
I am puzzled about the economics of refills: $2.50 for first drink and $0.54 for each refill at St Arbucks. What is the actual price? EDIT: are these refills loss leaders or something?

Last edited:
WWGD said:
I am puzzled about the economics of refills: $2.50 for first drink and $0.54 for each refill at St Arbucks. What is the actual price? EDIT: are these refills loss leaders or something?
I have always assumed the largest cup of plain drip coffee cost them about $0.50 total. That includes everything: beans, roasting, grinding, brewing cost, general overhead, and labor. So, with a 10 cent cup and heat shield, they make about $1.90 on the $2.50 first coffee and break even on the refills. They might lose a tad on each large refill, but gain a tad on each small refill.

If you get one of their cards, they keep telling me, refills are free all day after one regular purchase of a coffee. That system is where they might be losing money to create good will, depending on how many refills a person gets in a day.

However, that's all speculation on my part.

Do they only have refills in Starbucks or everywhere? I'm not sure but I think I've heard somewhere that it's standard in the US to have free or cheap refills in most coffee shops.
I was only once at Starbucks and the iced coffee I had was so large I almost couldn't finish it. So I really didn't think about a refill.

OCR said:
Yes Psinter, we went with our vets recommendation... a very sad day.[COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR]:oldfrown:

"Thing" was the fourth cat that my wife and I had to say a final goodbye to...

"Little Dummy 2" was our companion for 19 years, she died on the couch, laying right next to my wife, at 10:30 AM on Christmas day, December, 2009.
She died from kidney failure, and was the third one that we lost...

"Little Dummy 1" was attacked and killed by a predator, probably a hawk or an eagle, maybe a bobcat... I walked and searched for hours and hours, and finally found her on a hill side, less than a half mile from the house... the memory of that horrible day is still hard to think, or even write about. She was less than a year old, and one of the most beautiful cats I'd ever seen.
She was the second one to leave us...

We've been married for 29 years now, and our first cat just disappeared, about 28 years ago, I never found even a trace of her.[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:oldfrown:

Such is life and death, on a ranch in Montana, I guess...?
Oh.

Those stories sound sad. :sorry:

Edit: That's a bear! :nb) How cool!
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Since we are talking about cats, I have something on the subject:

My grandmother has a cat that let's you touch her when she's hungry. When she's hungry, she says: "meow, meow" and you can touch her, but once you give her food and she feels satisfied, she doesn't let you touch her. She scratches you if you try. Then she disappears from the map and only comes back when she's hungry again.

I heard she is very jealous with her territory and attacks dogs and other cats that get on the perimeter. That everyday she patrols a very large area of the place looking for trespassers (other cats and dogs) and attacks them or chases them away. But the area that she patrols is so large that you lose sight of her.
Sophia said:
I was only once at Starbucks and the iced coffee I had was so large I almost couldn't finish it. So I really didn't think about a refill.
Me neither. With the soda that I always change for juice, the cup sizes are enough for me. I have never thought about refilling.

Likes OCR and Sophia
Sophia said:
Do they only have refills in Starbucks or everywhere? I'm not sure but I think I've heard somewhere that it's standard in the US to have free or cheap refills in most coffee shops.
The refill policy of coffee shops is all over the map. Some donut shops give one free refill, some give no discount at all on the second cup. Usually, though, a refill is cheaper than the first cup. Coffee refills pretty much only apply to regular drip coffee, and not to any fancier drinks. I think you'd have to pay full price for a second iced coffee, for example.

When I first got out of college in the late 1970's I started hanging out at McDonalds because they had unlimited free refills. The first cup was something like 29 cents, then you could sit there all day till they closed and drink 20 more free coffees if you wanted. Back then, unlimited free coffee refills was common to many restaurants. Then President Reagan cut the mental health budget and all the state run mental institutions closed and all the people who were cared for there were out on the streets. There was a surge in the homeless population. They took to spending their days in places like McDonalds. That's when McDonalds et al started charging for refills and trying out "no loitering" policies: to discourage the homeless.

zoobyshoe said:
The refill policy of coffee shops is all over the map. Some donut shops give one free refill, some give no discount at all on the second cup. Usually, though, a refill is cheaper than the first cup. Coffee refills pretty much only apply to regular drip coffee, and not to any fancier drinks. I think you'd have to pay full price for a second iced coffee, for example.

When I first got out of college in the late 1970's I started hanging out at McDonalds because they had unlimited free refills. The first cup was something like 29 cents, then you could sit there all day till they closed and drink 20 more free coffees if you wanted. Back then, unlimited free coffee refills was common to many restaurants. Then President Reagan cut the mental health budget and all the state run mental institutions closed and all the people who were cared for there were out on the streets. There was a surge in the homeless population. They took to spending their days in places like McDonalds. That's when McDonalds et al started charging for refills and trying out "no loitering" policies: to discourage the homeless.

I had no idea that something like that happened. What a shame! :((( This is one reason I'm happy to live in Europe where most medical care is covered by compulsory insurance.

Psinter said:
Since we are talking about cats, I have something on the subject:

My grandmother has a cat that let's you touch her when she's hungry. When she's hungry, she says: "meow, meow" and you can touch her, but once you give her food and she feels satisfied, she doesn't let you touch her. She scratches you if you try. Then she disappears from the map and only comes back when she's hungry again.

I heard she is very jealous with her territory and attacks dogs and other cats that get on the perimeter. That everyday she patrols a very large area of the place looking for trespassers (other cats and dogs) and attacks them or chases them away. But the area that she patrols is so large that you lose sight of her.
Regarding this I've always frowned down upon the fact that owners of pets let them roam free on properties which are not theirs.

Multiple times the "whatever they are called" have been asked by some of the population to make laws to force owners to keep their pets within their lands, but they never make the laws.

The problem with that is that people (usually poor and uneducated) allow their dogs and cats to roam free and they go and make number 1 and number 2 on other people's gardens or lands. (Although the cat mentioned above has a big land of the owner and spends most of the time within the perimeter of the land)

Also, when I'm running, I always have to keep an eye because for some stupid reason most of the adults of my place are inherently evil and a bunch of illiterate individuals who train their dogs to bite other pedestrians. (Although that is slowly changing, you can observe in specific geographic locations that the new generations are getting more conscience about it and behaving better and more intelligent than their parents) :rolleyes:

I always take a broom stick with me to defend myself from the dogs which attack me when I exercise. If a dog attacks me because I entered a land without permission, then I have no right to complain. But if a dog attacks me in public places, I take that as a serious offense because they have owners.

In a country where there are regulations about pet keeping, this which I'm telling you might sound weird, but in my country there are none and I have personally have had to defend myself from dogs that stupid owners train to bite other people and have attacked me while I'm exercising. A distant family member got attacked and half of his face destroyed by a dog when he was 2 years old. Now he is an adult and you only see a small scar. But yeah.

That's why I have always frowned down upon owners who let their pets roam free to other lands which are not property of them. :oldgrumpy:

Likes Sophia
Sophia said:
I had no idea that something like that happened. What a shame! :((( This is one reason I'm happy to live in Europe where most medical care is covered by compulsory insurance.
It's disingenuous of me to put the whole blame on Reagan. He did this mostly because there was a public perception state hospitals were a waste of money:
The Administrations goals of fiscal restraint also received support from the general public due to the perception of a federal government too prone to waste revenues and not address other basic concerns, such as crime prevention. Certain forms of social welfare spending, such as programs for the mentally ill, were perceived as wasteful and thus easy targets for budget cuts (Gans, 1995; Katz, 1989). In contrast, other social programs, such as Social Security, were perceived as being "earned" by the recipients, and thus equitable. Despite the fact that the average Social Security recipient receives more in return than they pay into the system, programs such as this are perceived as being a pension for which the recipient has already paid. As such, they are less susceptible to cuts than categorical spending programs, such as community mental health treatment centers. Indeed, Social Security funding per beneficiary increased under the Reagan Administration (Levitan, 1990, 30). Mental health policy lacks the widespread public support that benefits Social Security (Armour, 1989, 186). In light of this, it is not surprising that the Reagan Administration was able to cut these programs relatively easily (186-7).
http://sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas_d.html
That was a long time ago, now, and when younger people look at the homeless problem they don't realize there was a time when it was not nearly as severe or why it became so severe. We used to have a system for handling large numbers of essentially dysfunctional people. Unfortunately, when it was dismantled, no one sat the public down and specifically pointed out to them, "You see, this current homeless problem, this is what happens when you cut the allegedly wasteful state hospital programs."

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Sophia
zoobyshoe said:
It's disingenuous of me to put the whole blame on Reagan. He did this mostly because there was a public perception state hospitals were a waste of money:

That was a long time ago, now, and when younger people look at the homeless problem they don't realize there was a time when it was not nearly as severe or why it became so severe. We used to have a system for handling large numbers of essentially dysfunctional people. Unfortunately, when it was dismantled, no one sat the public down and specifically pointed out to them, "You see, this current homeless problem, this is what happens when you cut the allegedly wasteful state hospital programs."
But then again Reagan was the poster boy/ main proponent of how the state can do no right. A quote of his which seems absurdly extreme. How about the civil rights movement, WWII, The Space Program, Inventing the basis for the Internet (Darpa), look at the UC school system one of the best in the planet, etc. Don't want it everywhere in life, but there are areas where it works better than private industry.

I find it far less surprising that a B-747 or an A-380 flies, than it surprises me, that something like the Queen Mary II swims.

zoobyshoe said:

I won't write a longer reply because I'm really not in a mood for political /economical debate. So I'll just say what happened seems strange and brutal to me :-/

Likes Psinter and ProfuselyQuarky
WWGD said:

It is very true, at least to many people outside the US.
The US invaded other countries not solely for the help as they claimed, as they had other plans to grow their military power and control in those countries. When they got disclosed, the media worldwide particularly those from socialist countries called them lies and fallacies. Still, their original claim and actual help were to be recognized even though their dark side of the helpfulness was stinky enough not to be easily eradicated.

Pepper Mint said:
It is very true, at least to many people outside the US.
The US invaded other countries not solely for the help as they claimed, as they had other plans to grow their military power and control in those countries. When they got disclosed, the media worldwide particularly those from socialist countries called them lies and fallacies. Still, their original claim and actual help were to be recognized even though their dark side of the helpfulness was stinky enough not to be easily eradicated.
As I come originally from Serbia and my family* lived there during American bombing ( they bombed a place where I used to play as a kid, too. My grandfather's vineyard had black leaves for couple of years after that ) I have an opinion about American international help.
But I don't get why you say that socialist media claimed that American evil motives are lies? Perhaps I misunderstood something.

Edit: *I mean my grandfather, aunt, uncle, 2 cousins and many acquintances. By the time of NATO bombing I was already in Slovakia. I "only" experienced civil war as a little child.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42