What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,521
M'kay.

You don't start growing old until you stop growing up.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,522
Noisy Rhysling said:
M'kay.

You don't start growing old until you stop growing up.
I never _started_ growing up.

• #2,525
fresh_42 said:
And if, which one will win the race: Catalonia of Scotland?
...Quebec, Wallonia, Texas * ,...
* Not sure how serious they are, but they sure make a lot of noise.

• #2,526
WWGD said:
...Quebec, Wallonia, Texas * ,...
* Not sure how serious they are, but they sure make a lot of noise.
It's the Flemish who want to separate, not the Wallonians. It is the money, it is always the money. And the list doesn't end here: South Tyrol, or more generally Northern Italy, Austin (from TX). It also explains those who don't like these ideas.

• #2,527
fresh_42 said:
It's the Flemish who want to separate, not the Wallonians. It is the money, it is always the money. And the list doesn't end here: South Tyrol, or more generally Northern Italy, Austin (from TX). It also explains those who don't like these ideas.

Ah, yes. The saying used to be "one person, one vote". Now it seems it is " One person, one country".

• #2,528
Many Indians and Chinese get upset with me when I ask him why they can't come up with 10 good Soccer players out of
1.3, 1.4 billion people respectively. But I never heard a good answer other than " Indians like Cricket" , etc.

• #2,529
WWGD said:
Many Indians and Chinese get upset with me when I ask him why they can't come up with 10 good Soccer players out of
1.3, 1.4 billion people respectively. But I never heard a good answer other than " Indians like Cricket" , etc.
Well, there are quite populated countries which need to send their girls if they ... :biggrin:

• #2,530
*removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,531
Please do not discuss politics on PF. Regarding recent events, there is nothing what hasn't been said before. No need to repeat the same discussion once more.

• #2,532
fresh_42 said:
Please do not discuss politics on PF. Regarding recent events, there is nothing what hasn't been said before. No need to repeat the same discussion once more.

Understood and apologies. Glad I didn't sink myself by posting a thread about it.

• #2,533
My pet mouse, "Experimental Group A-1" passed away last night. :frown:

ExperimentalGroupA1.jpg

(This picture, btw., was taken a bit more than a year ago.)

Last edited:
Likes Suyash Singh
  • #2,534
WWGD said:
I don't mean to offend anyone(neither am i offended ).Everything i write is taken badly.
Well see i am indian.Mostly people are still focussed here on being good educated people.And the tremendous amount of studies that we face removes any other talent from us like football,etc.We are taught here what you are taught in college(not everything).Also sports in not a very useful thing anyway, not like kicking footballs is going to develop our country. Also one more thing is that people who get their careers through academics are not generally very rich but since most of us do not have very rich parents therefore the small amount of salary pleases us.Now imagine why would a kid with rich parents want to study for basic income.He/she could just become a singer,dancer,sports player,youtuber,etc kind of person and be a millionaire.

• #2,535
Suyash Singh said:
I don't mean to offend anyone(neither am i offended ).Everything i write is taken badly.
Well see i am indian.Mostly people are still focussed here on being good educated people.And the tremendous amount of studies that we face removes any other talent from us like football,etc.We are taught here what you are taught in college(not everything).Also sports in not a very useful thing anyway, not like kicking footballs is going to develop our country. Also one more thing is that people who get their careers through academics are not generally very rich but since most of us do not have very rich parents therefore the small amount of salary pleases us.Now imagine why would a kid with rich parents want to study for basic income.He/she could just become a singer,dancer,sports player,youtuber,etc kind of person and be a millionaire.
I agree with you to some degree, but the overall life skills, discipline, commitment, etc. , together with improved physical health ,acquired in a sports career can serve you well in other areas of life.

• #2,536
Interesting. I heard an explanation that the (a?) reason for brushing one's hair is to help spread bodily oils evenly throughout the head, to allow for healthier hair. And a book on rules of thumb claims that 25 strokes plus/minus 3 is the ideal amount/range to this effect.

• #2,537
Suyash Singh said:
Now imagine why would a kid with rich parents want to study for basic income.He/she could just become a singer,dancer,sports player,youtuber,etc kind of person and be a millionaire.
WWGD said:
I agree with you to some degree, but the overall life skills, discipline, commitment, etc. , together with improved physical health ,acquired in a sports career can serve you well in other areas of life.
To which category belongs V. Anand?

• #2,539
The moment I realized customer preference tracking isn't all its cracked up to be.

Dax Lanolin Recommended for you.jpg

• #2,540
Oktoberfest ad : "We have the best of the Wurst".

PF has decided to save time and energy by automatically moving my jokes to the " Lame Jokes" thread ;).

• #2,541
To all astronomers out there: Do you currently observe anything unusual out there? I had a phone call with the customer service of the telephone company and ... it was short, friendly, and as to my best knowledge yet (still untested) solved my problem. Strange.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,542
fresh_42 said:
To all astronomers out there: Do you currently observe anything unusual out there? I had a phone call with the customer service of the telephone company and ... it was short, friendly, and as to my best knowledge yet (still untested) solved my problem. Strange.
Well, Duh, Libra is in conjunction with Aries and Pluto is in retrograde ;).

• #2,543
WWGD said:
So does option 1 apply

or option 2?

• #2,544
WWGD said:
Damn. I need to get some more fluorescent face paint.

Likes WWGD and fresh_42
  • #2,545
WWGD said:
I never _started_ growing up.
I got a better offer, twenty years in the USN. Slept in 72 countries.

• #2,546
fresh_42 said:
So does option 1 apply
or option 2?
Neither...
Only option 3 applies...

Here...

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,547
Noisy Rhysling said:
I got a better offer, twenty years in the USN. Slept in 72 countries.
You got more discipline than I do, for sure.

• #2,548
OCR said:
Neither...
Only option 3 applies...

Here...
Maybe, but I like the staccati in Venus.

• #2,549
:check:... understood.
fresh_42 said:
Maybe, but I like the staccati in Venus.
I have always liked Shocking Blue ...

And, I was saddened by the death of Mariska Veres .... :frown:
Mariska Veres died of cancer on 2 December 2006 at the age of 59...

• #2,550
OCR said:
:check:... understood.
I have always liked Shocking Blue ...

And, I was saddened by the death of Mariska Veres .... :frown:
Me, too. Both. Might have been her hair besides her voice of course. I've recently recognized that I like either the female alto (like Jennifer Rush) or the whistle register (like Mariah Carey).

Likes OCR
  • #2,551
fresh_42 said:
To which category belongs V. Anand?
I know nothing about him except that he is a very good chess player

• #2,552
In biology/chemistry/biochemistry when you do simulations, they are "in silico", when you go to the lab, experiments are "in vivo" or "in vitro".

In electronics it doesn't matter if you do simulations or build a prototype, it is all "in silico".

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,553
Borek said:
In biology/chemistry/biochemistry when you do simulations, they are "in silico", when you go to the lab, experiments are "in vivo" or "in vitro".

In electronics it doesn't matter if you do simulations or build a prototype, it is all "in silico".
And if you try to square the circle, it is "in vain" :cool:

Likes Borek
  • #2,554
Borek said:
But you learn so much more from building a 'real' circuit. Might those hard-knock lessons be termed 'in vivo' ?

• #2,555
jim hardy said:
But you learn so much more from building a 'real' circuit. Might those hard-knock lessons be termed 'in vivo' ?
Depends on current and voltage. Sometimes they need to be termed "in shock".

Likes jim hardy