What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,556
fresh_42 said:
Depends on current and voltage. Sometimes they need to be termed "in shock".
When I was an undergrad, some of my experiments were "in smokes"

Likes fresh_42 and jim hardy
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,557
WWGD said:
Many Indians and Chinese get upset with me when I ask him why they can't come up with 10 good Soccer players out of
1.3, 1.4 billion people respectively. But I never heard a good answer other than " Indians like Cricket" , etc.
Interesting, I lived in China for past 2 years. Maybe the most patriotic couple of individuals can turn a bit bitter, but for most Chinese people I met, talking about their football team is a good laugh.
There might be some cultural misunderstanding that can be misinterpreted as being condescending though, especially if Western people are involved.

• #2,558
fresh_42 said:
Me, too. Both. Might have been her hair besides her voice of course. I've recently recognized that I like either the female alto (like Jennifer Rush) or the whistle register (like Mariah Carey).
I hear all sorts of dogs barking every time Mariah emits a high pitch note...

• #2,559
WWGD said:
"How's your cough?" - "Better. Down to five of seven neighborhood dogs answer."

• #2,560
WWGD said:
Rather Rain Dogs Mariah, cuttin' through the canebrake, rattling the sill ...

• #2,561
Today I felt like Caryn Elaine Johnson (better known as Whoopi Goldberg, or still better Guinan) in Ghost.

• #2,562
WWGD said:
You got more discipline than I do, for sure.
It was a trade-off. I got to act like a teenager when I wasn't on duty. Made me very happy.

Likes WWGD
  • #2,563
fresh_42 said:
Today I felt like Caryn Elaine Johnson (better known as Whoopi Goldberg, or still better Guinan) in Ghost.
I didn't know you were in Ghost! What name did you go by ?? ;).

• #2,564
WWGD said:
I didn't know you were in Ghost! What name did you go by ?? ;).
Ex girlfriend in the Inbox. Weird. After 10+ years. I haven't the least idea whether or what to answer. I'm inclined to perform an authentication test. However, I'm not sure if this ended up in the same equivalence class as not to answer.

• #2,565
fresh_42 said:
Ex girlfriend in the Inbox. Weird. After 10+ years. I haven't the least idea whether or what to answer. I'm inclined to perform an authentication test. However, I'm not sure if this ended up in the same equivalence class as not to answer.
Sorry, you cannot surely expect any other than a bad pun from me by now, right? The statement that a German dude felt like a black lady from the States is strange enough to start with ;). Sorry, Frisch fir-svei, if I put you on the spot

• #2,566
Noisy Rhysling said:
It was a trade-off. I got to act like a teenager when I wasn't on duty. Made me very happy.
I am still trying to stop being a teenager in my work, in my life in general. This is a video of my story , or at least pretty close to it.

• #2,567
I saw a Doctor Who show these days with the following dialog:
"But I'm an adult now. I grew up!"
(Doc) "Don't worry. We'll get rid of that."

• #2,568
fresh_42 said:
Ex girlfriend in the Inbox. Weird. After 10+ years.

What was your immediate reaction? if your heart sort of leapt , well,

Last edited:
  • #2,569
WWGD said:
Sorry, you cannot surely expect any other than a bad pun from me by now, right?
Right. But I know you can do better ... I mean meaner. o0)
The statement that a German dude felt like a black lady from the States is strange enough to start with ;).
As a Trekkie I don't care much about such unimportant details. It was the only movie I remembered in which voices of the past played a role (or is it passed in this case?)

• #2,570
jim hardy said:
What was your immediate reaction? if your heart sort leapt , well,
Not sure whether it is about attending a funeral in Ossetia. This is one of the possibilities I want to have answers to for myself before I read the email. I still curse in Ossetian.

• #2,571
I couldn't help it. Went to a meetup on Maria DB. Presenter came from Helsinki to give the presentation.
When the presentation seemed to be over, I asked: " Are you Finnish(ed)"?

• #2,572
WWGD said:
I couldn't help it. Went to a meetup on Maria DB. Presenter came from Helsinki to give the presentation.
When the presentation seemed to be over, I asked: " Are you Finnish(ed)"?
You live a dangerous life dude ... Just be a bit more careful in certain areas of NYC, please!

• #2,573
fresh_42 said:
You live a dangerous life dude ... Just be a bit more careful in certain areas of NYC, please!
Hey, I survived some 4 landlords, a bar across from me with people shouting till 4 a.m., etc. I think I've earned my [whatever] heart. Not as tough as the guy who cut his arm to escape from under a boulder :http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/tragedy-and-triumph-author-aron-ralston-cut-his-arm-save-his-life but I've paid my dues :).

• #2,574
I'm considering to call you John, John McClane. :cool:

• #2,575
fresh_42 said:
I'm considering to call you John, John McClane. :cool:
Bet he hasn't eaten the street food I have ( where, BTW, I play another one of my horrible puns:" Lamb over Rice, or Lamb over ice")?
This is my version of "don't ask don't tell" I won't ask you how you can charge me just $4 for a plate of rice, lamb and vegetables, and you don't tell me what's in the plate.

• #2,576
No one shall not say that sports isn't funny. 1st PAT: right post - failed; 2nd PAT: too far left - failed. Doesn't look as if there was a chance for a third TD to have a try. Maybe it'll get even more funny with a third and I'll see a failed conversion. In this case I truly hope my neighbors have a deep sleep.

• #2,577
I don't know how this place ( coffee shop) survives: It is open until 3 in the afternoon daily and it has no in

• #2,578
I haven't been able to discipline myself for a while now, into doing my monthly fasting.

• #2,579
WWGD said:
I don't know how this place ( coffee shop) survives: It is open until 3 in the afternoon daily and it has no in
Our standard explanation for these kind of restaurants has usually been: Mafia money washing saloon.
It is a cash in receipts out machinery. Customers aren't needed.

• #2,580
WWGD said:
My definition is data characterized by the 4 Vs: Volume, Variety, Velocity and Veracity. Although I agree that the companies you mentioned are major players.

You mean the definition on the test?

:)

• #2,581
Now that I passed my qual, I am onto my next project:

quantum baby.jpg

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,582
dkotschessaa said:
You mean the definition on the test?

:)
You betcha, I had it written in my palm ( Oops, don't tell my prof) ;).

• #2,583
I just took a small trip in time: I hit the 'back' button and the post I just made is not there anymore. My time machine.

• #2,584
fresh_42 said:
Our standard explanation for these kind of restaurants has usually been: Mafia money washing saloon.
It is a cash in receipts out machinery. Customers aren't needed.
Quite possible. Besides, I have never seen them go against the family.

• #2,585
Aha, I finally figured it out... !..
idea.gif

You can forget all that stuff about lift, gravity, thrust and drag...
A helicopter flies because of money!

Last edited:
  • #2,586
dkotschessaa said:
Now that I passed my qual, I am onto my next project:

View attachment 212655
Explaining payment protection insurance to my eight year old was today's challenge. I managed to explain loans and repayment plans in terms of the couple of pounds I borrowed from his piggy bank for bus fare the other day, but I think I lost him after that.

I have a nasty feeling I'm going to be charged interest the next time I need to borrow from him...

• #2,587
Ibix said:
Explaining payment protection insurance to my eight year old was today's challenge. I managed to explain loans and repayment plans in terms of the couple of pounds I borrowed from his piggy bank for bus fare the other day, but I think I lost him after that.

I have a nasty feeling I'm going to be charged interest the next time I need to borrow from him...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1932416552/?tag=pfamazon01-20

• #2,588
Ibix said:
Send him over. We have to talk about common rates outside official institutions!
WWGD said:
I have never seen them go against "the family".

• #2,589
dkotschessaa said:
I'll bear that in mind. I'm not sure I want to encourage him though - the interest rate my example implied was north of 1200%pa...
fresh_42 said:
Send him over. We have to talk about common rates outside official institutions!
I'm suddenly in favour of Brexit... :wink:

• #2,590
Ibix said:
I'm suddenly in favour of Brexit... :wink:
Always look on the bright side of life - I could have been from Palermo! :cool: