Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,226
inotyce said:
How could you make it! I am so much amazed!

I didn't make it, I just found the picture on the internet.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,227

Wow. I thought the little hearts I put in my wife's cappuccinos in the morning were cute.

I need to learn this art more thoroughly.

-Dave K

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,229
lots of great little techniques in there. I won't be able to make anything so elaborate, but I'm sure I can come up with something cool.

• #1,230
trollcast said:
I didn't make it, I just found the picture on the internet.
It's really, really impressive. I'm amazed anyone would think of it, much less be able to make it.

• #1,231
zoobyshoe said:
It's really, really impressive. I'm amazed anyone would think of it, much less be able to make it.

So many amazing ones in the google image search for latte art that I couldn't pick one to post.

• #1,232
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,233
Ah finally! The site wasn't connecting for 3 days now; probably something weird with the servers.

• #1,234
Borek said:
Makes me wonder how long it will take for espresso machines to have a printer cartdridge...
You can preorder them.

But if you want a really complex design that takes 7 hours to print, you had better like cold coffee.

• #1,235
Borek said:
Makes me wonder how long it will take for espresso machines to have a printer cartdridge... Some of the images suggest I am not the first person to think about printing in this context.

Now you've gotten me trying to find my old Epson dot matrix printer. Luckily I've got a serial port card installed for just such a project. :smile:

• #1,236
Tonight I made that most elementary of driving errors: ignoring the gas gage.

Luckily I was only about 4 blocks from a gas station when I rolled to a stop. I also still had the gas can I bought the last time I did this, about 2 years ago.

Have you ever run out of gas while driving? I'll bet there are some of you who haven't.

• #1,237
zoobyshoe said:
Have you ever run out of gas while driving?

It's hard to do that by accident in my current car. With about 75 miles range left, a warning light on the dashboard comes on. At about 30 miles, you get some loud beeps and a message on the dashboard display.

I don't know if there are any more warnings before you hit 0 - that's as close as I've been.

I must have run out sometime in the past, since I've got an ancient gas can rusting away in the garage - but I can't remember why I bought it.

• #1,238
Sergio-Albiac-stardust-portraits-designboom-02.jpg

-Stardust project by Sergio Albiac

An automated process will create human portraits as generative collages, using as sources some images from the Hubble space telescope. Generated portraits will be exhibited at the flickr Stardust Portrait exhibition.

You can send your own photo to get its digitized portrait, more about the project and instructions for participating here: http://www.sergioalbiac.com/wall/stardust.html

Last edited:
  • #1,240
I found myself googling "Does Data obey asimov's three laws of robotics" today. I'm pretty sure that makes me the biggest nerd ever, except for all the people that have already asked/discussed that exact question on other forums...at length...with examples.

-Dave K

• #1,241
zoobyshoe said:
Tonight I made that most elementary of driving errors: ignoring the gas gage.

Luckily I was only about 4 blocks from a gas station when I rolled to a stop. I also still had the gas can I bought the last time I did this, about 2 years ago.

Have you ever run out of gas while driving? I'll bet there are some of you who haven't.
Does coasting into the gas station and right up to the pump count?

• #1,242
-- I recently watched American History X, and I must say it was an amazing movie. Edward Norton delivered a brilliant performance- defiantly one to remember.

• #1,243
AlephZero said:
It's hard to do that by accident in my current car. With about 75 miles range left, a warning light on the dashboard comes on. At about 30 miles, you get some loud beeps and a message on the dashboard display.

I don't know if there are any more warnings before you hit 0 - that's as close as I've been.
Nice features! I suppose most cars newer than mine must have similar warnings in place. I didn't think of that.
Borg said:
Haha! The very same thing happened to me the time before last, about 4 years ago. As soon as I got into position at the pump, the engine sputtered and died. Perfect timing.

• #1,244
zoobyshoe said:
Haha! The very same thing happened to me the time before last, about 4 years ago. As soon as I got into position at the pump, the engine sputtered and died. Perfect timing.
Mine ran out about 100 yards short of the pumps. I made it the rest of the way on my Prius's battery.

I always pay attention to the gas gauge but that was when I found out that my warning light doesn't give much warning if I've been driving on a smooth highway. It ran out within 5 miles of the light flashing. Normally the sloshing of stop and go traffic causes it to warn me with at least a gallon which is good for at least 40 miles - most of the time it starts flashing with about 2 gallons (80 to 100 miles) left in the tank so I really got blindsided that time.

Last edited:
  • #1,245
NATURE.M said:
-- I recently watched American History X, and I must say it was an amazing movie. Edward Norton delivered a brilliant performance- defiantly one to remember.
I wasn't sure the first time I saw you do this, but now I'm more sure you are misspelling 'definitely' by accident.

Check it out:

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/

• #1,246
Borg said:
Mine ran out about 100 yards short of the pumps. I made it the rest of the way on my Prius's battery.

I always pay attention to the gas gauge but that was when I found out that my warning light doesn't give much warning if I've been driving on a smooth highway. It ran out within 5 miles of the light flashing. Normally the sloshing of stop and go traffic causes it to warn me with at least a gallon which is good for at least 40 miles.
I would think they'd be able to create some fancy, incredibly accurate gas measurement system these days, like, say, ultrasonic determination of the volume of gas remaining in the tank. On the other hand, in my case, all I need to do is stop cutting it close because I'm a little too impatient to add a gas stop to my schedule.

• #1,247
zoobyshoe said:
I wasn't sure the first time I saw you do this, but now I'm more sure you are misspelling 'definitely' by accident.

Check it out:

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/

it might be spell check's fault.

I've been battling with saber/sabre all day...

• #1,248
OmCheeto said:
it might be spell check's fault.

I've been battling with saber/sabre all day...

Yes, Spell Check defiantly refuses to red flag words that are proper words in their own right, on the mere suspicion they might be out of context.

• #1,249
I once typed friends as fiends while writing up a speech, the guy who gave the speech raised a lot of eyebrows...
Good Morning Ladies, Gentlemen and all my dear FIENDS.
Can't think about it without laughing my head off. Serve him right for not writing his own speeches.

• #1,250
:smile:

• #1,251
Enigman said:
I once typed friends as fiends while writing up a speech, the guy who gave the speech raised a lot of eyebrows...
Good Morning Ladies, Gentlemen and all my dear FIENDS.
Can't think about it without laughing my head off. Serve him right for not writing his own speeches.

Reminds me of this little awkward thing: the Swedish word for trade union is fackförening (short: fack). It can lead to troublesome things:

http://www.thelocal.se/43556/20121001/ ("Fack Ett" would mean Trade Union One);

article said:
“Fack Ett? Seriously? It sounds like a joke. How many seconds will it take before the name is translated to f*** it?” said Niclas Lövkvist, CEO of PR company Agency to the paper.

• #1,252
DennisN said:

Reminds me of this little awkward thing: the Swedish word for trade union is fackförening (short: fack). It can lead to troublesome things:

http://www.thelocal.se/43556/20121001/ ("Fack Ett" would mean Trade Union One);

I would etymologize the F-word but Evo would probably shoot me with her ban-gun. (The etymologies are hilarious but sadly false.)
Google them up or read the book The F-Word by Jesse Sheidlower.

Last edited:
  • #1,253
Borg said:

I ran out of gas frequently when I was in my 20s and didn't take care of crap. Once I got to the left turn lane to get into the gas station, but no further. Fortunately it was a semi-rural area where people are trusting and they lent me a gas can to fill up my car on the corner.

After that I always kept one in my car.

• #1,254
@dkotschessaa- happy 500th post- exactly ten times of mine.

• #1,255
Enigman said:
@dkotschessaa- happy 500th post- exactly ten times of mine.

Hey, cool!

I actually am surprised it is so low. I've been posting here about 3 years now. I used to rack up the numbers on forums much more quickly, but that was when I sat at a desk all day.

• #1,256
Enigman said:
I would etymologize the F-word but Evo would probably shoot me with her ban-gun. ...

You could always hide behind https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4488394#post4488394, Borek, and Fredrik.

hmmm...

Gad! Don't look!

It's a Martian thing! :-p

----------------------------
/me jumps back into bed and pulls the covers over his head

• #1,257
dkotschessaa said:
I actually am surprised it is so low. I've been posting here about 3 years now. I used to rack up the numbers on forums much more quickly, but that was when I sat at a desk all day.

Posts in GD don't count, only those from technical forums.

• #1,258
Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of PF, I will fear no Evo(il): for thou (ye great G.B.) art with me; thy Borek and thy Fredrik they comfort me...
(Sorry about the plagiarism Om -imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.)
DISCLAIMER: To be read by only those who wouldn't ban me; are over 18 years of age and have the average intelligence needed to decode it.
F.*.*.*- Fornication Under the Consent of King
- For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge [In Nude]
- Forced Unnatural Carnal Knowledge
- Found Under Carnal Knowledge
-From wikipedia

Last edited:
  • #1,259
Enigman said:
Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of PF, I will fear no Evo(il): for thou (ye great G.B.) art with me; thy Borek and thy Fredrik they comfort me...
(Sorry about the plagiarism Om -imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.)
DISCLAIMER: To be read by only those who wouldn't ban me; are over 18 years of age and have the average intelligence needed to decode it.
F.*.*.*- Fornication Under the Consent of King
- For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge [In Nude]
- Forced Unnatural Carnal Knowledge
- Found Under Carnal Knowledge
-From wikipedia

Dude, your post count just made me laugh.

pf.69.snicker.snicker.jpg

:blushing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY6dIxQTaf8

Ok then, I'm off to the nudist beach.

:biggrin:

ps. SORRY!

:blushing:

• #1,260
Borek said:
Posts in GD don't count, only those from technical forums.

:frown: