Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,296
Lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,297
:biggrin: what a good description! I like the phrase "all over the room" which is very imagery.

• #1,298
My diet has been unusual lately and today I inadvertently arrived at some deadly combination of food such that I found myself able to sustain unbelievable levels of thrust. I'm sure I was hovering 5 inches above the toilet for at least 2-3 seconds.

• #1,299
The new PF logo, in the top left corner. Shouldn't the atom be inside the baloon? It's pissing me off, as it is. Perhaps I'm a little OCD.

• #1,300
Crake said:
The new PF logo, in the top left corner. Shouldn't the atom be inside the baloon? It's pissing me off, as it is. Perhaps I'm a little OCD.
Nope, this is better. Though it would be better to have a more non-discriminating; the logo's not really fair to all the biologists, computer geeks and mathematicians of the website. I personally would have made it a Promethean torch or a coat of arms with PF written on it and some latin which says something like Nullius in Verba or 'a nuclear physicist's favourite food is fission chips'.
Ah, well its physics forums after all...

Last edited:
  • #1,301
am i seriously delusional ?

i see physics chat.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,302
Whatchu talkin' about? Chat? Where?

• #1,303
top right of the site.

" Physics Forums Chat
PF Chat " tab.

• #1,304
The new 24/7 chat is for Gold (subscribing a.k.a. PF Patron) members, Homework Helpers, Science Advisors, and Staff. You got to pay to play. :wink:

Greg was going to announce it today in Feedback, but it looks like you found it first.

Last edited:
  • #1,305
:cry::cry::cry:

• #1,306
I liveeeeee.

I wasn't here for very long, but I had some real life stuff and I had to deal with that. Turns out, you can make a lowly paid worker work 2x as much for the same amount of pay. And we only complain a little. Classes start back up in the spring for me.

pay to play.

But not pay to win, right? ;)

• #1,307
HayleySarg said:
I liveeeeee.

I wasn't here for very long, but I had some real life stuff and I had to deal with that. Turns out, you can make a lowly paid worker work 2x as much for the same amount of pay. And we only complain a little. Classes start back up in the spring for me.

But not pay to win, right? ;)

Welcome back :smile:!

• #1,308
Thanks to the new avatar policy, you can all dream of having my gorgeous hair at times other than when I'm just posting regular pictures.

• #1,309
Anyone know what the IR forum is? Greg provided a link to it in a thread but its an invalid one. Was it discontinued?
[too lazy to start a thread, sorry]

• #1,310
IR forum no longer exists.

• #1,311
The melody of a country song makes me sad(number 37405 -Tim McGraw).Similar melodies often create in my head images of green deserted pastures on a sunny day no matter what the meaning of the lyrics are. In my daily life I don't think about the country life at all. That is strange. Sometimes I feel truly alive and love my life. I am so much moody . If someome here also experiences the same thing I am glad to learn i am not alone.

• #1,312
Comic: Universe hardware specs (I don't remember where this comes from).
Disclaimer: it's just a cartoon, I mean nothing serious whatsoever with it, of course.

9680836693_ccddd00863_o.jpg

• #1,313
Is it me or is the forum chat room available 24/7?

• #1,314
Gad said:
Is it me or is the forum chat room available 24/7?
Yes, for Gold members.

• #1,315
That's cool.. And clever. :biggrin:

• #1,316
Borek said:
IR forum no longer exists.

Were we speeding away from it too quickly?

DennisN said:
Comic: Universe hardware specs (I don't remember where this comes from).
Disclaimer: it's just a cartoon, I mean nothing serious whatsoever with it, of course.

It's from the Abstruse Goose, one of my favorite online comic strips. Here's a link to the page containing that particular strip.
http://abstrusegoose.com/455

Here are a couple more Abstruse Goose strips with related material.
http://abstrusegoose.com/235
http://abstrusegoose.com/244

• #1,317
My space heater has that I-haven't-been-on-for-a-while smell. What is that smell, hot dust?

• #1,319
me too, I like the comics ofthe site.
I realize my English is not good at all, it is that I don't have chances to practice English with non-US/Canada people (especially those from New Zealand, Australia and Britain or UK) I barely understand their statements and questions, their pronunciation is beautiful though. During almost 30 minutes yesterday having a conversation with a British man, I kept "pardon me, excuse me, could you repeat/say it again, one more time please", all of which really affects my oral test negatively. But I am happy no matter what the result will be.

• #1,320
lisab said:
My space heater has that I-haven't-been-on-for-a-while smell. What is that smell, hot dust?
We're in the middle of a tremendous heat wave here. Are you really needing a space heater already there?

• #1,321
Today a young, tiger-striped cat committed an enthusiastic act of guerrilla acupuncture on my right arm. One second I was petting it, the next I was being stabbed by 20 claws and 26 teeth.

• #1,322
Ouch!
I had a similar experience with a dog few days ago...thank Anubis that my reflexes were faster than his jaws. You weren't so lucky I guess. And get it checked, will you.
Okay, porcupine fish slap canceled (wasn't making much of a headway anyway...) Consider yourself reckoned for revealing PF's fishy secret.
Glory to Lady Bast.
-Just kidding, don't mind me...

• #1,323
I think I like PF because many people agree to offer free help to others in need.
I know randomness is randomness, no standardized formula exists to break what is supposed or considered random.

• #1,324
zoobyshoe said:
We're in the middle of a tremendous heat wave here. Are you really needing a space heater already there?

Yeah, hard to believe isn't it - it's 61F (16C) outside right now. Chilly.

• #1,325
zoobyshoe said:
Today a young, tiger-striped cat committed an enthusiastic act of guerrilla acupuncture on my right arm. One second I was petting it, the next I was being stabbed by 20 claws and 26 teeth.

I hope you recover from your catupuncture treatment.

• #1,326
My first math club meeting today with me as president. We are having a game (like Jeopardy) with prizes. (My VP did an awesome job of putting this together in powerpoint.) Got prizes (bargain bins and dollar store) ordered pizza and drinks, and have drinks chilling in faculty fridge (Due to a campaign promise - "no more lukewarm soda.)

Wish me luck.

-Dave K

• #1,327
lisab said:

"elaborate placebo" indeed...

-Dave K

• #1,328
lisab said:
Yeah, hard to believe isn't it - it's 61F (16C) outside right now. Chilly.
That's real jacket and sweater weather.

It's coming up on noon right now and my inside thermometer is reading 85F (30C). However I have a pretty good fan trained on me.
lisab said:
The cat is a feral cat that showed up as a kitten at the Newtonian Cafe. It was alone, no mother or siblings in evidence. All the customers fed it scraps and tried to tame it. Eventually, this worked and it is not afraid of people anymore. However, I think it didn't get enough rough-and-tumble experience with other cats to understand claws and teeth hurt. It's probably never been on the receiving end and doesn't know to pull its punches.

Anyway, today my wounds have scabbed over nicely and should be gone it a couple weeks. Unless it strikes again!

• #1,329
dkotschessaa said:
My first math club meeting today with me as president. We are having a game (like Jeopardy) with prizes. (My VP did an awesome job of putting this together in powerpoint.) Got prizes (bargain bins and dollar store) ordered pizza and drinks, and have drinks chilling in faculty fridge (Due to a campaign promise - "no more lukewarm soda.)

Wish me luck.

-Dave K
Sounds like great fun!

• #1,330
inotyce said:
I know randomness is randomness, no standardized formula exists to break what is supposed or considered random.

You might be quite interested to know that there is an entire field of study dedicated to random signals and random processes. It's often called "noise theory." It's one of those fields studied by electrical engineering graduate students that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with electricity.

Noise theory sort of defies classification. Is it engineering? Is it physics? Is it mathematics? It's all of them. It is none of them. (Although if thoroughly pressed, with a gun to one's head, one would have to eventually concede that it falls into the mathematics category.)

Did you know that the inverse Fourier transform of a signal's power spectral density is its autocorrelation function? I think about these things all the time.