Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
Magnetic stirrers are hypnotic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Medicol said:
Ryan-m-b is a biology bear but I only don't like the guy in that he always seems careful about what if his ideas might be stolen by public community so he doesn't seem to share with everyone.
Medicol said:
I'm recognized! :oldcry: :oldcry: :oldcry:

:olduhh::olduhh::olduhh:
And yet not banned...:biggrin:

A troll and the sun
http://thedailywh.at/2015/01/win-day-woman-defeats-twitter-troll-words-kindness-mlk-day/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes OmCheeto
Today, Neal Stephenson posted a FB post about "Lord Timothy Dexter".
The story reminded me a bit of several Twilight Zone episodes, all twisted into one, with strange happenings, everywhere.
One bizarre thing, was a reference to "Coal to Newcastle".
I knew I'd seen it before, but couldn't remember where.
Fortunately, I'm both unaware of how to google FB, nor ambitious enough to browse it, and found it here:

Bystander said:
Giving books away to the crowd who hang out around here is not unlike "carrying coals to Newcastle."

It would appear, that the little grazny pig made a profit, by carrying coals to Newcastle.

Likes Bystander
I took a work related training course last week, studied for the last 5 days and scored well enough on multiple practice exams to easily pass the certification exam.
I passed the certification exam today by the barest of margins. :olduhh: :nb) :oldsurprised: :bow:

Likes Lizabella and Nikitin
Saw a guy today blow through a stop sign at 40+ mph in a 25 zone while talking on the phone. I'm sure that he had a nice conversation with the policeman that drove after him. :oldtongue:

Likes lisab
Tom, where is Jerry ?

Total emptiness

I was making myself tea and some boiling water splashed on my abdominal area... It hurts. I don't like this feeling I am feeling. :H
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/9e9359463acc80e6a22d09a3a527f4e4/tumblr_n6h6xzdHvj1roi79do1_500.gif​

Likes Lizabella
Psinter said:
I was making myself tea and some boiling water splashed on my abdominal area... It hurts. I don't like this feeling I am feeling.
Wow, I hope you will learn from this and be more careful. The presence of hot liquids requires heightened attention. It's true in the kitchen. It's true at Yellowstone.

Likes Lizabella
Signed up for Pottermore and...
I am a Ravenclaw!
Ravenclaw_Crest.png

Likes Psinter and Lizabella
zoobyshoe said:
Wow, I hope you will learn from this and be more careful. The presence of hot liquids requires heightened attention. It's true in the kitchen. It's true at Yellowstone.
Yes. Next time I will keep my distance from the pot. LOL! Yellowstone.

It has been a little more than 12 hours and it doesn't hurt anymore. Red is gone and pain too. There's a little feeling if I touch the skin area that was previously red, but it is very faint. I'm happy now. :)

Likes Lizabella
...Sighing...I realize how difficult English language actually is when I can recognize how people handle their arguments just soo well in response to others'. As always I really like it. :)

The Sound and the Fury...

Likes Silicon Waffle
Anyone knows why the war e.g between Ukraine and Russia took place ? I read the news and watch TV too but when it happened, I then know it happened but I never know the reason why it happened. I tried to backtrack the cause but found none. Should I vote for which party to follow ?

Likes Lizabella
There's a war between Ukraine and Russia? I didn't know that

Likes Lizabella
I think Russia has a war with Mexico instead.

Silicon Waffle said:
Anyone knows why the war e.g between Ukraine and Russia took place ? I read the news and watch TV too but when it happened, I then know it happened but I never know the reason why it happened. I tried to backtrack the cause but found none.
There's a related thread it in the Current Events subforum.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ukrainian-mess.739067/
[Edit: be advised to read the MOD NOTE in post #1, btw.]

Likes Lizabella
What is Russia?:oldshy:

Lisa! said:
:oldlove::approve:

Lizabella said:
...Sighing...I realize how difficult English language actually is when I can recognize how people handle their arguments just soo well in response to others'. As always I really like it. :)
And the most amazing thing is how natural it comes to them.
________
*shuffling* If you can, try making 50 crunches on each side with 50 lbs. resistance applied on the muscles. It works wonders. And you feel nice.

Likes Lizabella
Lisa! said:
Baby, don't invade me, don't invade me..no more

Lisa! said:
Mother

Last night I was having a more or less neutral dream that suddenly surged into a nightmare when a character in the dream banged the palm of his hand onto my desk, making what seemed like an impossibly loud sound. I was so startled I woke up. Then it occurred to me the sound might have been real. I lay there wondering what could have fallen onto my desk that would explain it, but couldn't visualize anything on or near it that would have produced such a noise even if it had somehow fallen. I replayed the noise over and over again in my mind and kept returning to the conclusion it involved my desk top. Eventually I got up and looked over the whole place, but no clues were apparent.

This morning, however, I noticed a new element in the clutter that adorns my desktop: a largish black spring. I had no recollection of putting it there or where I got it. But it made perfect sense in accounting for the noise; if that spring had been extended and shot at my desktop, it would certainly make a sound like the one that woke me up. But where did it come from?

In a bit, I figured it out. As Poe observed, when something is right in front of our eyes all the time it can become invisible. The spring flew off my desklamp, which is something like this one:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/architect-style-clamp-on-base-desk-lamp__72867.html

One of the posts to which it was hooked suffered some kind of catastrophic failure in the middle of the night.

Search crews are on scene now scouring the premises for the remains of the post. In the meantime, I need volunteers from among the engineers and physicists here to serve on a committee to investigate the cause of this failure.

i wonder how to interpret the general statement :" If I can do it anyone can"

Does it mean the person who says that is implying that:
i) I am so inept that if I can do it anyone can, or

ii) My circumstances are so extreme that if I can do it anyone can.

iii) Something else?

due to my slight sleepiness I read as follows..

i) I am so inept that if I can do anyone...

I just burst out laughing and couldn't read further :D

Blue Screen of Death this morning followed by the computer not starting back up. Had to replace a RAM chip that went bad.

WWGD said:
i wonder how to interpret the general statement :" If I can do it anyone can"

Does it mean the person who says that is implying that:
i) I am so inept that if I can do it anyone can, or

ii) My circumstances are so extreme that if I can do it anyone can.

iii) Something else?
It would normally mean this "i) I am so inept that if I can do it anyone can, "

1000. :w It only took 5 1/2 years. :oldtongue:

Likes collinsmark and lisab
Evo said:
It would normally mean this "i) I am so inept that if I can do it anyone can, "
Yeah. "So easy, even a caveman could do it."

Borg said:
1000. :w It only took 5 1/2 years. :oldtongue:
Yay!

he4FZOK.jpg

Likes collinsmark
zoobyshoe said:
Yeah. "So easy, even a caveman could do it."
Well there is another expression which I never quite understood and that is: "You are pretty good for an idiot if I do say so myself." I don't know if it's a compliment or a soft insult. :confused:

http://www.instructables.com/id/10-Smartphone-to-digital-microscope-conversion/

Now this is super awesome! I don't know if it works, but I want to build it like right now. (Funny, he says $10 USD, but at my country those materials costs about $30 USD)

Likes OmCheeto and Silicon Waffle
Psinter said:
Well there is another expression which I never quite understood and that is: "You are pretty good for an idiot if I do say so myself." I don't know if it's a compliment or a soft insult. :confused:
I've never heard that expression, but it would be an insult.

Likes Psinter and Silicon Waffle