What Exactly Is Happening In the Arab/Persian World?

• News
  • Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary, the protests in Egypt are continuing and there are reports of violence and fires. The situation is not looking good for the government.

WhoWee said:
I heard an interview earlier with a 24 year old Egyptian on the street. He said the leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood were giving talks and organizing protestors. But, who really knows?

Another story about the Muslim Brotherhood:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/20110131/cm_atlantic/themuslimbrotherhoodthefutureofegypt6780

Yeah... they clearly didn't START this, but they're not so dumb that they won't use this opportunity to fill the vacuum if nobody else will. Personally, given the military's behaviour today, I suspect they're trying to find a general to take over Mubarak, with the argument that it's to end civil unrest. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

nismaratwork said:
Yeah... they clearly didn't START this, but they're not so dumb that they won't use this opportunity to fill the vacuum if nobody else will. Personally, given the military's behaviour today, I suspect they're trying to find a general to take over Mubarak, with the argument that it's to end civil unrest. Just a thought.

I think we are going to need another bunk bed Honey! :frown:

Anderson Cooper and his crew has been attacked by the mob and hit in the head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcX5_RdFhhM

waht said:
Anderson Cooper and his crew has been attacked by the mob and hit in the head:
He didn't look too roughed up - maybe just a little bit of drama?

What is happening in Egypt is a Game of Chess.

WhoWee said:
He didn't look too roughed up - maybe just a little bit of drama?

You think so? He said of his crew the female producer was most roughed up, he was just punched in the head (not face). I'll buy that, given footage filed by Hala Gorani.

I'm impressed that the anti-government forces have managed to hold Tahrir Sq. against a surprise attack that was clearly meant to scatter them.

Mueiz said:
What is happening in Egypt is a Game of Chess.

That's some deadly chess game you got there.

Here is the actual footage being attacked by angry mob. But I must warn it's pretty graphic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLr7guJ9Gs

waht said:
Here is the actual footage being attacked by angry mob. But I must warn it's pretty graphic.

Looks like pushing and shoving mostly.

WhoWee said:

With at least 3 dead, and over 600 wounded? That's some serious shoving.

nismaratwork said:

I was talking about the video of attacks on the CNN crew. To your point though - what is going on with lobbing firebombs at each other?

WhoWee said:

Shoving and pushing can be very intimidating. It's a perfect atmosphere to hit or even kill someone and get away with it. There is no central authority here that maintains order, the crowds are operating in a primitive instinct mode. A slight aggravation of it can instantly polarize a swarm of nearby people to be against you, like bees protecting their hive except that there is no queen to be protected. In light of the situation, I'd say Cooper was a breadths hair away from a much more serious attack.

waht said:
Shoving and pushing can be very intimidating. It's a perfect atmosphere to hit or even kill someone and get away with it. There is no central authority here that maintains order, the crowds are operating in a primitive instinct mode. A slight aggravation of it can instantly polarize a swarm of nearby people to be against you, like bees protecting their hive except that there is no queen to be protected. In light of the situation, I'd say Cooper was a breadths hair away from a much more serious attack.

Or he was just scared and a little dramatic? He put himself into harms way.

new enlightenment?

an Egyptian friend shares
It is not a fight between Pro-Mubarak and Anti-Mubarak :
It's the battle between science and urbanization versus ignorance and bullying!

WhoWee said:

Why does matter? It's his job, it's what good journalists should do.

I can imagine being in a small group being pushed around and yelled at by a much bigger group, it would be intimidating as hell.

WhoWee said:
Yeah, that was just dumb sensationalism. Or just dumb. Hard to tell.

Wow, looks like all hell breaking out now at Tahrir Square...and there are warnings now from the State Department to Americans who want to leave: get to the airport *now*. :cry:

edpell said:
an Egyptian friend shares
It is not a fight between Pro-Mubarak and Anti-Mubarak :
It's the battle between science and urbanization versus ignorance and bullying!

who is who?

nismaratwork said:

That's a slow night in many U. S. cities.

I lived in Egypt for three years as a U. S. intelligence officer. I have been back several times since. I count many Egyptians as my friends. Having traveled widely throughout the Arab World, I would say that Egyptians are probably the least violent and most passive of all the Arabs. Look at all the authoritative governments they have put up with. Nasser, back in the 1960's was the first Egyptian ruler of Egypt in more than two thousand years.

As riots and civil disobedience goes, I would say that the Egyptians have been remarkedly well behaved.

I heard on the news (on TV) that the American govt. is being blamed for all this mess in Egypt. If this is true, may I ask why?

dr2011 said:
I heard on the news (on TV) that the American govt. is being blamed for all this mess in Egypt. If this is true, may I ask why?
Obviously it's not true. Post a legitimate source to back your post.

Evo said:

I heard it on TV and I am looking for an article about the same online that you all can read. Will certainly post it when I find it.

Meanwhile, how do YOU know it is not true?

Evo said:

What's "obviously not true"? That the US is responsible? Or that the US is being blamed for it (by some people)?

I have no idea why the U.S. would be blamed for bad leadership in Egypt. Please explain.

Math Is Hard said:
I have no idea why the U.S. would be blamed for bad leadership in Egypt. Please explain.

Well, if one believed that the US had been supporting the bad leadership in Egypt, then one might blame the US for bad leadership. (Note: I haven't been following the news, don't know if this is actually the case, I'm just presenting a hypothetical of why the US might be blamed.)

lisab said:
Wow, looks like all hell breaking out now at Tahrir Square...and there are warnings now from the State Department to Americans who want to leave: get to the airport *now*. :cry:

Yes tragic, very tragic.

Brutal 'statistics' from the first day of "quasi-demonstrations" by the pro-Mubarak/pro-"Stability" goons:

6 killed
>800 wounded

334kzly.jpg

*** And now in the morning, they are reporting that new loads of goons are arriving in busses, equipped with knifes and cudgels ***

:cry:

(sorry for going off-topic, but...)

What did nismaratwork do now?? :bugeye:

DevilsAvocado said:
(sorry for going off-topic, but...)

What did nismaratwork do now?? :bugeye:

I was wondering the same. A pity.

--------------------------------

On Egypt, it's probably been said many times here already, but this could be the beginning of a major and long term world event.

EGYPTIAN PM ADDRESSES CRISIS: Infiltration... doesn’t understand... wounds... lot of blood... fires... young people... peaceful demonstrations... very strange that both sides where very hot... I pledged for full investigation... about this tragedy... I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHAT HAVE HAPPENED!

My advice: Call President Hosni Mubarak for a full insider report.

alt said:
I was wondering the same. A pity.

I could be wrong, but I think 'single strike' = "cool down baby, for a couple of days..." :rolleyes:
alt said:
On Egypt, it's probably been said many times here already, but this could be the beginning of a major and long term world event.

All over Middle East this is already a MAJOR event that has had profound changes in politics and society. The U.S. is up to the teeth involved in what is happening in Egypt.

Maybe only Millersville on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarvis_Island" is completely 'unaffected'... :wink:

300px-Jarvis_Island.svg.png

DevilsAvocado said:
*** And now in the morning, they are reporting that new loads of goons are arriving in busses, equipped with knifes and cudgels ***

This is the problem with standing by and watching. The violence started with rock throwing. We watched as people shattered curbs to find something to throw. The horses and camels aside, the next level of organized violence seems to have been the exchange of firebombs. Now we are escalating to weapons coupled with plans for a large march on Friday.

WhoWee said:
This is the problem with standing by and watching.

Yes, and in this situation I don’t know if my hero Albert Einstein is right or wrong ... confusing ... :rolleyes:
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." -- Albert Einstein

Drats!

Om's Computer said:
The connection has timed out
The server at english.aljazeera.net is taking too long to respond.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

What am I going to do!?

Al Jazeera English via Facebook said:
We have had reports that many in different parts of the world can't access our site or channel. You can live stream AJE here: http://youtube.com/aljazeeraenglish

Phew!

OmCheeto said:
Phew!

Thanks!

I’ve fixed a direct HTML-link to: http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swfbin/watch_as3-vflMkPRJq.swf?el=livepage&fmt_list=22%2F10%2F9%2F0%2F115%2C35%2F3%2F9%2F0%2F115%2C34%2F0%2F9%2F0%2F115&ps=live&video_id=live0000001&vq=auto&partnerid=24&t=irock&fmt_stream_map=22%7Caljazeera_en_veryhigh%7Crtmp%3A%2F%2Faljazeeraflashlivefs.fplive.net%2Faljazeeraflashlive-live%2C35%7Caljazeera_en_high%7Crtmp%3A%2F%2Faljazeeraflashlivefs.fplive.net%2Faljazeeraflashlive-live%2C34%7Caljazeera_en_medium%7Crtmp%3A%2F%2Faljazeeraflashlivefs.fplive.net%2Faljazeeraflashlive-live"

To get a 'clean page', with the video stream only. I hope this is okay...? :rolleyes:

(It’s very interesting to 'compare' CNN, BBC and Al Jazeera...)