What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
At around 00:20-01:30 AM today, there was a theft entering my house. He went all over the house while people were sleeping and stole 1 phone. I don't know what the guy did to my dog as it didn't bark to wake us up. I usually leave my room door open while sleeping; he got in then took my empty duffel bag hung on my room wall and a pen case left on my table; he then walked around my house freely looking for stuff he could collect. He found one phone being charged in the living room and that was his only achievement. Later early in the morning we discovered the bag along with the pen case in the balcony.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pepper Mint said:
At around 00:20-01:30 AM today, there was a theft entering my house. He went all over the house while people were sleeping and stole 1 phone. I don't know what the guy did to my dog as it didn't bark to wake us up. I usually leave my room door open while sleeping; he got in then took my empty duffel bag hung on my room wall and a pen case left on my table; he then walked around my house freely looking for stuff he could collect. He found one phone being charged in the living room and that was his only achievement. Later early in the morning we discovered the bag along with the pen case in the balcony.
:nb):nb):nb):nb):nb):wideeyed:

RonL said:
:nb):nb):nb):nb):nb):wideeyed:
I am truthful and thinking I was very lucky instead.
Believe it or not, it isn't uncommon for people in my area to get robbed or stolen only some dollars. There are thefts entering people's houses at midnight to steal only a bottle of milk. :biggrin: I know it sounds odd, but if they get discovered while doing their jobs, they might cut your throat or stab you at once.

Last edited:
Pepper Mint said:
I am truthful and thinking I was very lucky instead.
Believe it or not, it isn't uncommon for people in my area to get robbed or stolen only some dollars. There are thefts entering people's houses at midnight to steal only a bottle of milk. [emoji3] I know it sounds odd, but if they get discovered while doing their jobs, they might cut your throat or stab you at once.
Wow, quite a dangerous area. You were lucky that he didn't attack you.
Will you increase the security precautions in your home? I mean things like security door, alarm or similar.

Likes Pepper Mint
Sophia said:
Wow, quite a dangerous area. You were lucky that he didn't attack you.
Will you increase the security precautions in your home? I mean things like security door, alarm or similar.
I don't have money to do that, so I will close all the doors at night from now.

Pepper Mint said:
I will close all the doors at night from now.
You weren't before??:wideeyed:

Likes Sophia
Bystander said:
I'm shocked, too :-D

Likes Pepper Mint
Bystander said:
No, I didn't use to close the main door, but only yesterday I suddenly closed it (how lucky!). The theft I think climbed up and into my house from the first floor where its front door was always opened, went downstairs to the locked main gate and couldn't escape from it so he went back upstairs and climbed out.
Imagine there is a theft happily walking inside the house while people are sleeping, that is terrifying, like a suspense movie.

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
Pepper Mint said:
that is terrifyingTERRIFYING

Likes Pepper Mint
Houses always seem too vulnerable to thieves to me. Imagine all the windows that are easy to break and easy to climb into.
At least from security point of view, apartments are safer if you've got a high quality security door. Also there are always people around who hear and see more than you'd like to :-)
Depends on the neighbourhood, for sure. Where I live, there are mainly decent middle class families.
But I know that in some areas, in some buildings there are lots of drug dealers and certain dangerous groups of people. So I'd be afraid to meet such neighbours in dark corridor or lift.

Likes Pepper Mint
Sophia said:
... Also there are always people around who hear and see more than you'd like to :-)
I am well-prepared and appreciative to learn anything from them.
Depends on the neighbourhood, for sure. Where I live, there are mainly decent middle class families.
But I know that in some areas, in some buildings there are lots of drug dealers and certain dangerous groups of people. So I'd be afraid to meet such neighbours in dark corridor or lift.
This is true. I too stay away from them. In the dark, they rule. So once seeing them, I will run for my life.

Likes Sophia
... :oldwink:

Free thought.JPG

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Pepper Mint and Sophia
Hmmm. The new season of American Horror Story looks interesting. So far (one episode into it), they've turned away from slasher horror back to creepy horror. It's also employs an interesting twist on the 'actor re-enactment' device used by a lot of the ghost shows, like, where they interview people who've allegedly experienced a haunting and then cut to re-enactments of their story done with actors.

Hmmmm . Since i started tracking my morning blood glucose I've seen how much diet affects me.
Have we in US been on a fifty year sugar binge ?http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2548255
Sugar Industry and Coronary Heart Disease Research
A Historical Analysis of Internal Industry Documents

ABSTRACT

Early warning signals of the coronary heart disease (CHD) risk of sugar (sucrose) emerged in the 1950s. We examined Sugar Research Foundation (SRF) internal documents, historical reports, and statements relevant to early debates about the dietary causes of CHD and assembled findings chronologically into a narrative case study. The SRF sponsored its first CHD research project in 1965, a literature review published in the New England Journal of Medicine, which singled out fat and cholesterol as the dietary causes of CHD and downplayed evidence that sucrose consumption was also a risk factor. The SRF set the review’s objective, contributed articles for inclusion, and received drafts. The SRF’s funding and role was not disclosed. Together with other recent analyses of sugar industry documents, our findings suggest the industry sponsored a research program in the 1960s and 1970s that successfully cast doubt about the hazards of sucrose while promoting fat as the dietary culprit in CHD. Policymaking committees should consider giving less weight to food industry–funded studies and include mechanistic and animal studies as well as studies appraising the effect of added sugars on multiple CHD biomarkers and disease development.

They wouldn't stretch the truth, would they ?

Likes Pepper Mint
I read about that sugar thing yesterday. It surprised me somewhat because I have never thought of the sugar industry as a super profitable one, like oil, such that they would adopt a tactic of disseminating 'the best science money can buy.' What I mean is I rank sugar with stuff like mustard, ketchup, napkins, etc; it's ubiquitous but it would never occur to me to envision an entity you might call, "Big Sugar," that would undertake to protect itself in this way.

Why is it mean to make fun of thread titles? So many punchlines, and so few room to state them...

Coolest punchline I've ever heard of.

The situation: Two cars waiting at a traffic light of some minor street that changes on a low frequency. The driver in the first car got bored and obviously sidetracked. The traffic light was red. Then it turned red+yellow. Then green. Nothing happened. Then it turned yellow again. Then red again.
The reaction: The driver of the second car got out, went to the first car, knocked on his window. As the first driver opened it, he simply asked:
Wasn't your color among them, yet?

Likes JorisL
I've just heard this sentence:

"I'm sure a lot of you WILL have read this BEFORE. "

What kind of grammar is this? Is it normally used in English? The person who said this is a native speaker. Maybe I just didn't hear what she actually said by mistake. She has a slight speech impediment and said the sentence quite fast so that may be why I didn't understand correctly.

"... will have read ..." is some tense; and, it is perfectly acceptable usage.

Likes Sophia
It's fairly common. I think it's short for "I'm sure that a lot of you will realize that you have read this before". In many cases it is also code for "You should have read this, but I'll go through it anyway because I bet most of you haven't and those who have done have forgotten it".

Likes Pepper Mint and Sophia
Thanks, I was confused that words indicating future and past tense were mixed like that.

Sophia said:

What kind of grammar is this? Is it normally used in English? The person who said this is a native speaker. Maybe I just didn't hear what she actually said by mistake. She has a slight speech impediment and said the sentence quite fast so that may be why I didn't understand correctly.
Future II. I'm sure it exists in Slovak, too. "Ich werde mich gewundert haben, wenn nicht."

I have a new favorite English word that made me laugh out loud yesterday as I first saw it:
"...<some description of a specific situation> ... You know the spiel."
How in hell has it made it into English?

And why isn't it written "shpeel" or (although wrong) at least "speel"? And where is the appendix, diminutive gone, for it's usually used as "Spielchen" = antics?

Last edited:
I've seen something like "I'm sure you will know this" before , but I don't remember seeing it in combination with present perfect.

Yes, we have a similar tense when we use future for expressing belief that the other person has done or knows something. But again, it's without present perfect, because we don't have PP at all :-)

You should start using word shpeel on Facebook and I'm sure it will become popular very soon!

Edit: I also find amusing that English doesn't have a word for Schadenfreude.

How do you express the following?

- Tomorrow at 10 a.m. I will go to the dentist.
- Hopefully I will have left again at 11 a.m.

Sophia said:

What kind of grammar is this? Is it normally used in English?

Perhaps short for "will be found to have read" , separating time when they read it from time when we posed the question. Does that make it ablative ?

TIL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_case
The ablative case (abbreviated abl) is a grammatical case in the grammar of various languages; it is used generally to express motion away from something, although the precise meaning may vary by language. The word "ablative" derives from the Latin ablatus, the (irregular) perfect passive participle of auferre "to carry away".[1] There is no ablative case in modern Germanic languages such as English.
English is such a mishmash of older languages it has a lot of quirks. I remember studying ablatives in 9th grade Latin class . Would that i could recall the details...

Likes Sophia
fresh_42 said:
How do you express the following?

- Tomorrow at 10 a.m. I will go to the dentist.
- Hopefully I will have left again at 11 a.m.
Using future and combination of future + infinitive.
I will go: "pôjdem"
Dúfam, (I hope in present tense) že sa mi podarí (that I will be able) odísť (infinitive of to leave) pred 11 (before 11).

Or
Dúfam (I hope present), že o 11 už odídem (that I will already leave at 11- simple future tense)

Or
Dúfam, že o 11 už budem doma (I hope that I will already be-simple future, at home at 11)

I guess we create this meaning by using the word už, which means already. We don't have an official tense that is called past or future prefect. At least it is not taught at elementary or high school. That's why it causes trouble to students because they can't understand its meaning in English. Especially for kids in 6-7th grade, when they first encounter it, it's something totally unnatural.

Edit: we can express the meaning that is connected to these English tenses, but there are many ways to do that depending on context and we use other word types, not necessarily only verbs to do that. It's difficult to explain :-)

Likes fresh_42
Sophia said:
... or Zugzwang. Which I find especially amusing since it has two z.

Likes Sophia
Sophia said:

I think there's a good chance the speaker you heard is in error here. We have, in English, the Future Perfect tense:

The FUTURE PERFECT TENSE indicates that an action will have beencompleted (finished or "perfected") at some point in the future. This tenseis formed with "will" plus "have" plus the past participle of the verb (whichcan be either regular or irregular in form): "I will have spent all my money by this time next year.
Future Perfect Tense
grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/GRAMMAr/tenses/future_perfect.htm
It seems like the person you quoted has confused this with the simple past. But it depends on what they actually meant.

"I'm sure a lot of you will have read this before the course is finished." is correct. But if they meant they are sure "...a lot of you have already read this (at the current time)," then the speaker got tripped up and used the wrong tense.

Sophia said:
Actually, the English word for Schadenfreude is: Schadenfreude.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schadenfreude

In other words, it's been adopted as is, and is now in most dictionaries. We steal all our words. We are linguistic kleptomaniacs.

Likes collinsmark
zoobyshoe said:
In other words, it's been adopted as is, and is now in most dictionaries. We steal all our words. We are linguistic kleptomaniacs.
Oh yes. I just checked whether download has already made it into the German dictionary (Duden).
It has. And it's even conjugated in a German way: "I've downloaded" is officially "Ich habe downgeloadet". Scary. The more there is already a German word to express it. A friend of mine is annoyed by the fact that since the 80's there are no "Besprechungen" anymore. Only Meetings.

zoobyshoe said:
I think there's a good chance the speaker you heard is in error here. We have, in English, the Future Perfect tense:It seems like the person you quoted has confused this with the simple past. But it depends on what they actually meant.

"I'm sure a lot of you will have read this before the course is finished." is correct. But if they meant they are sure "...a lot of you have already read this (at the current time)," then the speaker got tripped up and used the wrong tense.
I believe it's the second option.
She was speaking about a certain book and wanted to express that she hopes that people listening to her now have read the book in the past. That's why I was confused. Because I've seen future perfect many times, but never in this context.

Sophia said:
I believe it's the second option.
She was speaking about a certain book and wanted to express that she hopes that people listening to her now have read the book in the past.
In that case, I'm afraid that speaker is just plain wrong.

This happens a lot. People hear a certain phrasing and adopt it without understanding how to use it, just because it sounds more erudite to them.

Likes Sophia
[QUOTE="fresh_42, post: 5569228, member: 572553" A friend of mine is annoyed by the fact that since the 80's there are no "Besprechungen" anymore. Only Meetings.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And "summits". And "leaders".

zoobyshoe said:
In that case, I'm afraid that speaker is just plain wrong.

This happens a lot. People hear a certain phrasing and adopt it without understanding how to use it, just because it sounds more erudite to them.
Thank you for the explanation. I always assume that native speakers are right but obviously, one should be careful with them, as well.

Sophia said:
Thank you for the explanation. I always assume that native speakers are right but obviously, one should be careful with them, as well.
It seems to be less and less true that native English speakers have a solid education in English. It often happens that you can find a non-native speaker who has learned the grammar better than the average native speaker.

Likes Sophia