What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
zoobyshoe said:
It seems to be less and less true that native English speakers have a solid education in English.

Physics news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:

Likes collinsmark
Apparently today is the anniversary of the release of Goldfinger. That movie blew me away when I first saw it. Never forget this character:

http://www.007james.com/characters/oddjob.php

Sometimes when I read, "Log in or Sign up," for a second I think it says, "Log in or Shut up."

zoobyshoe said:
Sometimes when I read, "Log in or Sign up," for a second I think it says, "Log in or Shut up."
:DD

Look, this company policy isn't bad.
http://www.businessinsider.com/this...yones-salary-so-that-no-one-freaks-out-2012-6

Wherever I work, I always meet some people getting curious of how much the guys next to them earn. It is sad to realize the guys sitting next to them could get more but they never seem to realize that it's an insult they indirectly show their boss that he isn't only stupid but his company's policy is clearly unfair. Please fire the jealous! :H

Borg said:
People like to acquire and turn what are others' theirs thinking it will work that way. :DD

It's interesting how one encounters many people's stories when they work in a small shop as I do.
Just a while ago, a 5th grader came here crying because everyone bullies him, both kids and teachers are bad, so he run from school. I tried to calm him down and told him he needs to talk to his "main teacher" (one who is responsible for relationships and management of his class). Eventually be said he was going home. So I called the elementary school immediately and told them what happened.
I know this boy because I taught his sister 2 years ago and they always talk to me when we meet.

I feel for him because I run from school myself when I was first grader because I was so afraid the teacher would yell at me because I forgot my pencil. So I run alone through half of the town to my parents and I was so sweaty that they had to dry my hair with blow drier before my dad took me back to school.
I wonder if the Peter's situation solves or he'll have to go to another school.

Likes Pepper Mint
Sophia said:
I know this boy because I taught his sister 2 years ago and they always talk to me when we meet.
I wonder if the Peter's situation solves or he'll have to go to another school.
:woot: :DD
There are bad teachers and classmates in my country too but if kids are found to have been maltreated by them, they will surely get fired and/or even jailed.

Pepper Mint said:
:woot: :DD
There are bad teachers and classmates in my country too but if kids are found to have been maltreated by them, they will surely get fired and/or even jailed.
I guess the main problem in this case are the classmates.

Still wondering what the issue is with this singer adele. She is young, she has plenty of awards, millions and almost every song she sings she seems to be moaning and bitching. What else does she want?

Sophia said:
I feel for him because I run from school myself when I was first grader because I was so afraid the teacher would yell at me because I forgot my pencil. So I run alone through half of the town to my parents and I was so sweaty that they had to dry my hair with blow drier before my dad took me back to school.
This reminds me of the story told by a woman I used to know: in grade school there was some very upsetting incident between her and her teacher (I don't remember the details) about her having to go to the bathroom during class. She developed such a huge complex about it that she determined she would never have to go to the bathroom again the whole time she was at school, and her whole life and diet became about 'bathroom use management': everything she ate or drank had to be considered with respect to how it might affect her need to use the bathroom during the hours she was at school. She worked at, 1.) ignoring thirst, and, 2.) holding her pee for hours, and this discipline became the center of her life.

WWGD said:
Still wondering what the issue is with this singer adele. She is young, she has plenty of awards, millions and almost every song she sings she seems to be moaning and bitching. What else does she want?
?:):DD

zoobyshoe said:
This reminds me of the story told by a woman I used to know: in grade school there was some very upsetting incident between her and her teacher (I don't remember the details) about her having to go to the bathroom during class. She developed such a huge complex about it that she determined she would never have to go to the bathroom again the whole time she was at school, and her whole life and diet became about 'bathroom use management': everything she ate or drank had to be considered with respect to how it might affect her need to use the bathroom during the hours she was at school. She worked at, 1.) ignoring thirst, and, 2.) holding her pee for hours, and this discipline became the center of her life.
That's so sad. Children can be so affected by what adults say. And the adults often have no idea what they caused.

Likes Pepper Mint
WWGD said:
Haha have you heard some shocking news about her disgraceful behaviour? :-)

zoobyshoe said:
It is a tragedy caused by bad teachers instead.
Do they ever feel sorry for people with mental disorders or those that are suffering from some tragic life events ? I don't think they do.
Sophia said:
That's so sad. Children can be so affected by what adults say. And the adults often have no idea what they caused.
True! And even adults are also affected by what other adults say.

Likes Sophia
Sophia said:
Haha have you heard some shocking news about her disgraceful behaviour? :-)
Do you mean the tax issues? She expects compassion from having to pay taxes, it seems.

WWGD said:
Do you mean the tax issues? She expects compassion from having to pay taxes, it seems.
LOL I had no idea about that. The only gossip about celebrities I've registered recently is Angela's and Brad's divorce :-p

Sophia said:
LOL I had no idea about that. The only gossip about celebrities I've registered recently is Angela's and Brad's divorce :-p
Someone told me about it when I commented on her complaining. I don't keep up either with Brangelina, Ashtray or Bennifer or whatever other horrible combo.

Likes Sophia
WWGD said:
Someone told me about it when I commented on her complaining. I don't keep up either with Brangelina, Ashtray or Bennifer or whatever other horrible combo.
I love those names :-D
To be honest, I don't really care about this stuff. I don't even know the majority of contemporary celebrities, neither local not global. I only know those that used to be popular 10+ years ago, when I was a teen.

Sophia said:
I love those names :-D
To be honest, I don't really care about this stuff. I don't even know the majority of contemporary celebrities, neither local not global. I only know those that used to be popular 10+ years ago, when I was a teen.
I don't care either, I just know them by exposure through daily life. And I was hanging out at B&N when they were piping in adele. It seems like watching TV alone exposes you to them, want it or not (not).

In a divorce, are there things that are hard to be divided for both ?:smile:

Houses. Children. Pets. CD/DVD/book collections. Furniture. Electronics.

Ibix said:
Houses. Children. Pets. CD/DVD/book collections. Furniture. Electronics.
And most often: pain.

fresh_42 said:
That seems to spread itself around quite easily, from what I've seen.

fresh_42 said:
... mandatory. Suffering is optional.

Likes fresh_42
I am looking for a new job, anyone wants to marry me ?:moto:

Likes wolram and ProfuselyQuarky
Look before you leap, little one !

upload_2016-9-23_7-41-53.png

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Likes RonL and ProfuselyQuarky
Pepper Mint said:
Now I learn what a boat means. :oldbiggrin:
Why do I have doubts :wideeyed::)):biggrin:

Likes Pepper Mint
Pepper Mint said:
Now I learn what a boat means. :oldbiggrin:

Choosing the right bait is very important.

High maintenance
1986-hatteras-45-convertible-0.jpg
low maintenance
Winslow%20Homer-799869.jpg

"simplify, simplify" thoreau

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Pepper Mint and Sophia
I don't think I need a yacht. :biggrin: A small boat to view sunset and sunrise is too much for me.

I have sent you only drafts, your ideas if any, either positive or negative about me, work and are appreciated. They are to me precious free consulting services you offered me. :-p:biggrin: Thank you.