What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,906
Ibix said:
I'd try by email, to be honest, unless he's got a direct number for one of the people who interviewed him. I certainly wouldn't show up at the door, largely because it can be read as confrontational (or potentially confrontational), and I don't think it increases his chances of getting an honest answer.
Exactly. Plus, that person must be available: not busy in a meeting or otherwise, willing to say something that may incriminate them/ their company, and willing to tell someone they are not good-enough. And then forget about applying there again, I think. EDIT: Think of the mass shootings in the U.S , and someone who may be angry just dropping by, something not usually done, AFAIK.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,907
Ibix said:
I'd try by email, to be honest, unless he's got a direct number for one of the people who interviewed him. I certainly wouldn't show up at the door, largely because it can be read as confrontational (or potentially confrontational), and I don't think it increases his chances of getting an honest answer.
I'd say phone, since company may not want to put reasons in writing.

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,908
Kind of strange: I found today at Starbucks the newspaper sections I left there last night. Don't they throw them out?

• #2,909
Newspaper article on psychic gaining weight: " The medium is a large"?

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,910
SmallMediumAtLarge.jpg

Attachments

• SmallMediumAtLarge.jpg
    SmallMediumAtLarge.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 730
Likes Asymptotic, WWGD, jim hardy and 1 other person
  • #2,911
  • #2,913
Likes Psinter
  • #2,914
Just figured out, after 10 years, how to get into my Christmas light string fuse boxes.

2017.12.29.xmas.light.fuse.box.png

Reminds of Egyptian crypt, Raiders of the Lost Ark type puzzles.

It vas zee "sliding door", Herr Om. Sorry for all zoze years of tvisting und turning und pulling und hammering.

:oldgrumpy:

Attachments

• 2017.12.29.xmas.light.fuse.box.png
    2017.12.29.xmas.light.fuse.box.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 683
  • #2,915
OmCheeto said:
Just figured out, after 10 years, how to get into my Christmas light string fuse boxes.

View attachment 217588

Reminds of Egyptian crypt, Raiders of the Lost Ark type puzzles.

It vas zee "sliding door", Herr Om. Sorry for all zoze years of tvisting und turning und pulling und hammering.

:oldgrumpy:
I rented a van the last time we DIY'd a house move. Got home, went to open the cargo door, and found that the handle didn't open the door (with the usual not-connected-to-anything feel you get from a locked car door handle). And there was no keyhole. Nor an obvious keyhole cover. No door-release markings on any of the dashboard controls.

Hm.

I rang the rental company and explained rather sheepishly that I couldn't figure out how to open the back door. They apologised for forgetting to tell me, and explained that you had to use the key to unlock the driver's side door, then let the key turn back and then unlock it again. And the second time you unlock the driver's door you actually unlock the rear door.

Obviously.:confused:

I'd never have guessed that in a million years.

Likes jim hardy, Asymptotic, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #2,916
Ibix said:
I rented a van the last time we DIY'd a house move. Got home, went to open the cargo door, and found that the handle didn't open the door (with the usual not-connected-to-anything feel you get from a locked car door handle). And there was no keyhole. Nor an obvious keyhole cover. No door-release markings on any of the dashboard controls.

Hm.

I rang the rental company and explained rather sheepishly that I couldn't figure out how to open the back door. They apologised for forgetting to tell me, and explained that you had to use the key to unlock the driver's side door, then let the key turn back and then unlock it again. And the second time you unlock the driver's door you actually unlock the rear door.

Obviously.:confused:

I'd never have guessed that in a million years.
:oldlaugh:

Ehr mehr gerd.

Your story, and the story of me riding around in the back seat of my friend's minivan, once a year, for the last 3 years:

Omfriendia; "Sorry you're locked in guys! I have to open the side doors from up here."
Om; "Really? Is this some child safety thing? We're in our 60's."
Omfriendia; "The owners manual section on how to fix that is 3000 pages long, and was written by a lawyer."
Om; "Understood!"

Likes Ibix
  • #2,917
OmCheeto said:
:oldlaugh:

Ehr mehr gerd.

Your story, and the story of me riding around in the back seat of my friend's minivan, once a year, for the last 3 years:

Omfriendia; "Sorry you're locked in guys! I have to open the side doors from up here."
Om; "Really? Is this some child safety thing? We're in our 60's."
Omfriendia; "The owners manual section on how to fix that is 3000 pages long, and was written by a lawyer."
Om; "Understood!"
I once left a bar and found two teenage girls outside who tried to stop a car for a ride home. They probably thought nothing could happen because they were two. I thought: Better me than someone dangerous, so I offered to drive them home. At the first traffic light I had to stop, and the shy one of the two decided to test the door. What an embarrassing moment to learn about the safety lock! I didn't even know I had one. Nobody ever had sat there.

Likes jim hardy, Ibix and OmCheeto
  • #2,918
fresh_42 said:
I once left a bar and found two teenage girls outside who tried to stop a car for a ride home. They probably thought nothing could happen because they were two. I thought: Better me than someone dangerous, so I offered to drive them home. At the first traffic light I had to stop, and the shy one of the two decided to test the door. What an embarrassing moment to learn about the safety lock! I didn't even know I had one. Nobody ever had sat there.
OMG!

ps. Good :angel: story. I can think of only once that I gave a stranger a ride. It was 34+ years ago. Some kid from Germany asked me for a lift at a rest stop. 200 km from Seattle to Portland. Can't remember his name. Nice though. Didn't kill me, nor me him.

• #2,919
fresh_42 said:
At the first traffic light I had to stop, and the shy one of the two decided to test the door. What an embarrassing moment to learn about the safety lock! I didn't even know I had one. Nobody ever had sat there.
Awkward! What did you say? I guess you'd want to disengage the child lock, but if you didn't know you had one I guess you didn't know how to do that.

• #2,920
Ibix said:
Awkward! What did you say? I guess you'd want to disengage the child lock, but if you didn't know you had one I guess you didn't know how to do that.
I don't remember whether I figured it out. I certainly tried at least. But the other girl gave me the rose she's gotten that night as I dropped them at home :smile:

Likes OmCheeto and Ibix
  • #2,921
WWGD said:
Wow, Psinter, where have you been? Haven't heard of you for a while now. Maybe just not posting in Random Thoughts?
Hihi. I was away for a good while on work and other stuff.
fresh_42 said:
I don't remember whether I figured it out. I certainly tried at least. But the other girl gave me the rose she's gotten that night as I dropped them at home :smile:
Hmmmmm. Talking about presents/tokens of appreciation in the given subject, you reminded me how slow I am. If other girls at PF read the following they are probably going to say: "You are a jerk!". But what can say, I was a kid. So it goes like this... A girl always gave me the biggest valentine's card every year in elementary school and during the whole year, she would give me drawings she made. All of them had hearts on them. One of them was an Ice Cream Cone, but instead of being filled with Ice Cream, it was filled with hearts :heart:. Another one was a Christmas Tree, but instead of having normal decorations it was decorated with hearts :heart:. Other was a river, but instead of having water, it had hearts :heart: flowing through it. One had a tree, but instead of having leaves, it had hearts :heart:. In another one, the Sun was a heart :heart:. I always said thank you, but never even remotely crossed my mind anything else other than: she likes to draw. It wasn't until I was 18 years old that I was like: "Ooooooohhhhhhh. Now I understand." o:) It was elementary school and I was concentrated on playing and having fun. Never did I think about love or liking another person in those times.

Bottom line is it makes you think what kids are thinking about... and it makes me think how slow I am :doh:.

• #2,922
Extremely smart Indian guy: Kapeesh. One who will not share is Selfeesh.

• #2,923
Just made my first Facebook friend from Puerto Rico today.
Only 55% of the people there have electrical power.

My new friend and I have been coordinating over the last hour on how to fix this, in our own little ways. :angel:

• #2,924
Wow, single-digit-temperature winters and people still wear sweats and ripped jeans. We have overcome the basic need to survive and can prioritize comfort and fashion ahead of homeostasis/survival. OTOH, many more men wearing tights than in previous years, which makes sense in terms of retaining heat.

• #2,925
WWGD said:
Wow, single-digit-temperature winters and people still wear sweats and ripped jeans.
Speaking of cold, I must tell you. I recently saw snow for the first time in my life and it was amazing :partytime:! This is my first time in the US and I have one word for you:

Super-Awesome!

All experiences have been positive and I shall tell you. There's so much to say. Have any of you guys visited the US? It's so big! You can drive for 3 hours straight and there's still more road to cover! How awesome is that :woot:. Another surprise was the amount of buildings and the amount of houses. I cannot fathom the amount of work it must have taken to build all that. My mind is still trying to process the information. And the amount of stores... legendary.

Regarding the snow, I was not expecting to see snow as I was told it was extremely rare, but it snowed! The snow was beautiful to say the least. I had no jacket (because I was told it wasn't cold so I traveled without one) and my movements were pretty much restricted from the cold I was feeling. But still, I enjoyed the snow :biggrin:. Never had I experience temperatures below 57F. The temperature was 30 something F. I told my friend joking: "It's official. My left butt has been completely frozen and my right butt is on the process." I had to get into a store and buy myself a thick jacket. My friend took me to a store I had never seen before to get me a jacket. I told her like repeating what she had told me, but in like a joking sense: "No, it's not cold. It's only 30 something F. Meanwhile I'm here, with my nails getting blue and shivering like a phone in vibration mode" and we laughed :oldlaugh:. A funny event was that I saw a kid that was apparently as excited as me to see snow, but he didn't calculate his movements properly while jumping from joy so he tripped over and smashed his face against the snow :DD.

I'm sleeping with a shirt on top a heat core, jeans on top of heat core, socks, gloves, and 3 blankets :cool:. One of the blankets is thick and the other two are normal. I tell you, it's cold.

Oh and I saw a bambi! It was so cute. It was in the road at night. I saw a squirrel too! The squirrel moved and its tail waved in the air. I found the squirrel with its flamboyant tail glamorous. I also saw a racoon. Man, I tell you, the racoon animal ran really fast.

I say, the amount of cars was unreal. Have I ever seen so many cars in the road in my life.

The people were friendly and kind to me. I had a little trouble communicating, but some told me they understood my english pretty well. My mistake was (and still is) that because I don't want to come out as dumb I try to reply very quickly to the person I am talking with and in the end I still come out as dumb. For instance, people ask me: "How are you doing?" and I reply really quickly: "Yes! I mean thank you! o:)" and then it's really awkward.

All in all, the experience has been wonderful. You guys have to visit the US.

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,926
Psinter said:

Sure, I will walk out of my apartment, that will do it -- now that temperature is up to around 23, FINALLY above single-digits..

Likes Psinter
  • #2,927
Psinter said:
Speaking of cold, I must tell you. I recently saw snowThe people were friendly and kind to me. I had a little trouble communicating, but some told me they understood my english pretty well. My mistake was (and still is) that because I don't want to come out as dumb I try to reply very quickly to the person I am talking with and in the end I still come out as dumb. For instance, people ask me: "How are you doing?" and I reply really quickly: "Yes! I mean thank you! o:)" and then it's really awkward.

I feel bad for you. I have had foreigners that saw my CV , specifically the section where/when I was Statistician ( and this from a while back) call me to help them with their taxes. Must be pretty lost; many have not just a different language but a different alphabet, likely a whole different way of viewing the world, if I may use that cliche. It would take me a while to figure out how to navigate many of these countries.

EDIT: I experience something like this small-scale when people ask me to do errands and I see too many assumptions and alternative interpretations. I wonder if I have a bit of Aspergers or Autism of some sort.

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
  • #2,928
WWGD said:
Sure, I will walk out of my apartment, that will do it -- now that temperature is up to around 23, FINALLY above single-digits..
lel. It took me a while to understand the joke. You live in the US then? Pretty neat. I have yet to experience 23F. It hasn't gone below 30F where I am visiting.
WWGD said:
I feel bad for you. Must be pretty lost;
Nah, I'm okay. I am accompanied. I was told I was being too polite :DD in my speech... The one that comes out correctly, that is. The rest is probably nonsense like in my example above o:).

Psinter - a mix of spoken politeness and nonsense :oldlaugh:.

• #2,929
I still think "You too" is more direct and to the point. " Likewise" seems clunkier, when returning compliments. Wonder if the " Likewise" is a direct translation from some language. Still, it would be nice to hear something along the lines of :" I reciprocate your sentiment" because of its weirdness.

• #2,930
WWGD said:
I still think "You too" is more direct and to the point. " Likewise" seems clunkier, when returning compliments. Wonder if the " Likewise" is a direct translation from some language.
I've learned (UK) "and you".

• #2,931
fresh_42 said:
I've learned (UK) "and you".
Ok, nice in-between. I still want to hear: " I willfully reciprocate your sentiment"

• #2,932
WWGD said:
Ok, nice in-between. I still want to hear: " I willfully reciprocate your sentiment"
Probably, because U2 has a different meaning on the islands.

• #2,933
WWGD said:
And me ;).

• #2,934
fresh_42 said:
Probably, because U2 has a different meaning on the islands.
Specially on some types of Sundays...

• #2,935
WWGD said:
Specially on some types of Sundays...
I didn't get this one.

• #2,936
Wonder what the constraints are, to producing a cup that will keep a liquid at
fresh_42 said:
I didn't get this one.
You know, the red...BLOODY ones...

• #2,937
WWGD said:
Wonder what the constraints are, to producing a cup that will keep a liquid at

You know, the red...BLOODY ones...
I only associated

but this was a different combo.

Edit: ... and I'm afraid I could have a non mainstream opinion on the bloody Sunday event.

• #2,938
I was thinking, since you mentioned the islands ( which to me suggest more the Caribbean than the UK) :

• #2,939
Wonder why they cannot design a cup ( not a thermos) that keeps liquids at constant temperature, so the hot coffee/chocolate remains hot for more than 1 minute or so.

• #2,940
WWGD said:
Wonder why they cannot design a cup ( not a thermos) that keeps liquids at constant temperature, so the hot coffee/chocolate remains hot for more than 1 minute or so.
I have one those, which is build in a way thermos are. But it's plastic.
WWGD said:
I was thinking, since you mentioned the islands ( which to me suggest more the Caribbean than the UK).
I decided to mirror their in my eyes devalued term of "continentals", which they have for the rest of Europe, and will call them islanders. Still better than what a colleague of mine once used: teabags.